Why Royals’ opener vs. Dodgers was a step in the right direction — even in defeat
In the first game of the season’s second half, the Royals worked on one of their nagging issues. But the bigger one lingers.
The Royals were better offensively than they’ve been in recent weeks. But the losing continues as the Dodgers opened a three-game series with a 5-4 victory.
That’s six straight losses for the Royals, and 11 consecutive at Kauffman Stadium to match a club record. They haven’t won at home since May 31.
This one came in heart-stopping fashion. The Royals loaded the bases with one out in the ninth inning, but Jac Caglianone bounced into a 4-6-3 double play on first pitch he saw from Tanner Scott to end the game played before 35,187.
“Just got to attack it different next time,” Caglianone said.
Big crowds are expected all weekend.
Shohei Ohtani was his usual spectacular self in his first visit to The K in Dodger blue. He greeted starter Noah Cameron with a home run into the fountains to lead off the game, delivered a game-tying RBI triple in the fifth inning and scored on Mookie Betts’ single.
Oh, and he’s scheduled to start on the mound for LA in Saturday’s game.
“I think we were ready for him,” Cameron said. “We had a good approach and just left a couple of pitches (up), and that’s kind of what he does.”
The Royals’ offensive output felt like a barrage for a team that had been shut out in its previous two games, while ranking last in baseball in average runs scored (3.25).
Kyle Isbel delivered two doubles, Maikel Garcia an RBI double and Salvador Perez an RBI single. Bobby Witt Jr. had the team’s biggest knock, a two-run homer in the second inning off Dustin May that gave the Royals a 4-3 lead, their first advantage since Sunday’s loss at the San Diego Padres.
“Last few games you guys know what’s happened,” Perez said. “We showed a little better today. I feel like we’ll continue to hit like that.”
Witt’s 428-foot blast into the seats was the Royals’ first at home since June 11 against the New York Yankees, when Perez went deep in the ninth inning of a loss. Only two of the previous 22 Royals home runs had come at The K.
It wasn’t enough. The Royals left 11 on base and made a baserunning error in the sixth inning when pinch runner Tyler Tolbert was picked off.
“We need to find a way to tack on, expand when we had the lead,” manager Matt Quatraro said. “Once we got down 5-4, we got guys on, we did some things, but we just couldn’t come through.”
It added up to the Royals’ 18th loss in their last 21 home games after starting the year 16-5 at Kauffman.
Up next: The Royals-Dodgers series continues on Saturday at 3:10 p.m. with Seth Lugo (4-5, 2.93) facing Ohtani (0-0, 4.50). The game will be broadcast on the FanDuel Sports Network.
Ohtani will make his first mound appearance at Kauffman Stadium, but it’s not the first time he’s been scheduled to pitch in Kansas City. In his first season with the LA Angels, Othani was set to make his third MLB appearance. But the game on April 15 was postponed because of cold weather.
This story was originally published June 27, 2025 at 10:16 PM.