Royals’ Ned Yost hopeful Salvador Perez could return Friday after getting hit in the wrist
One day after being struck on the right wrist by a 93 mph fastball, Royals catcher Salvador Perez underwent a more extensive set of x-rays on Wednesday morning here in Minnesota.
The tests confirmed what the Royals’ medical personnel suspected on Tuesday night. The damage to Perez’s wrist was limited to a bruise. Manager Ned Yost said he was hopeful that Perez will return to the lineup Friday, when the Royals open a three-game series against the White Sox in Chicago.
“I’m hoping that he’s ready to play,” Yost said.
On Wednesday afternoon, as he prepared for a night off, Perez said the wrist was still sore and swollen. But all things considered, the prognosis was positive. When his wrist absorbed a fastball from Ervin Santana in the seventh inning of Tuesday’s 10-3 victory, Perez feared it was broken.
“Most of the time, you get hit by a pitch and it hurts,” Yost said. “But if you get that ball-on-bone sound — that crunching sound — it’s not a good sound.”
Reserve catcher Drew Butera drew the start on Wednesday. The Royals also have catcher Tony Cruz available after he joined the team as a September callup.
Hosmer nominated for Clemente award
First baseman Eric Hosmer was selected as the Royals’ nominee for Major League Baseball’s Roberto Clemente Award, which is given annually to a player that “best represents the game of Baseball through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.”
Hosmer, 26, has won three straight Gold Glove Awards and appeared in his first All-Star Game in July, claiming MVP honors. But the Clemente nomination also recognizes his work with the “Big Brothers Big Sisters” organization and Noah’s Bandage Project, a charity in memory of Noah Wilson, a Royals fan who died last year of Ewing’s sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Wilson was 7 years old.
Royals manager Ned Yost said the honor was fitting for Hosmer.
“He’s the guy that is upfront and center on everything we do,” Yost said. “We play a bad game, he’s in the locker room, answering questions. He’s always signing autographs for the fans. He’s always doing things in the community. You have kids come in, sit in the dugout, he always comes in and spends time with kids.”
Rustin Dodd: 816-234-4937, @rustindodd. Download True Blue, The Star’s free Royals app.
This story was originally published September 7, 2016 at 9:49 PM with the headline "Royals’ Ned Yost hopeful Salvador Perez could return Friday after getting hit in the wrist."