Baseball

MLB commissioner, in KC, says Astros must take responsibility for sign-stealing scheme

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred was on a plane to Kansas City when the Houston Astros held a news conference to address their cheating by stealing signs throughout the 2017 World Series championship season. But Manfred called it an important step.

“I didn’t see the whole thing live, I read some reports about it,” Manfred said. “Look, I think it’s important for the front office, the players to take responsibility for what happened, and to express remorse to the fans, the other teams and people who are really invested in our great game.”

Manfred was in Kansas City on Thursday to participate in the Negro Leagues’ 100th Anniversary Commemoration.

The Astros were found to have used a video camera to steal signs in the 2017 regular season and postseason, and parts of 2018. Houston defeated the Red Sox and Yankees in the 2017 American League playoffs and the Dodgers in the World Series.

The story was first reported by The Athletic in November, and Major League Baseball launched an investigation. On Jan. 13, Manfred released his findings and the league handed out a punishment list that included a $5 million fine and loss of first- and second-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021. Manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were given one-year suspensions and they were both fired by the team.

No active players have been disciplined for their role in the scheme. But a member of the 2017 Astros, former Royals star Carlos Beltran, was fired last month from his new job as manager of the New York Mets.

Also, Alex Cora, a bench coach with the Astros in 2017, was fired from his position as Red Sox manager. Baseball continues to investigate a sign-stealing scheme by the Red Sox in their 2018 championship season, Cora’s first as manager.

“It is important that we complete the other investigation, the Boston investigation, that we be as transparent as possible,” Manfred said. “And I think it’s also important that the league take responsibility in terms of making some changes in terms of the rules and where videos are available in ballparks to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

Blair Kerkhoff
The Kansas City Star
Blair Kerkhoff has covered sports for The Kansas City Star since 1989. He was elected to the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in 2023.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER