The Star’s high school basketball rankings are voted on by the high school staff. The big-class division is made up of Missouri Class 5 and 4, as well as Kansas Class 6A and 5A. All other classes are in the small class.
(Records are through Wednesday’s games)
1. Lee’s Summit: 18-0. The fast-paced Tigers managed to win back-to-back conference games against teams that slowed their tempo.
2. Lawrence: 12-1. The Chesty Lions have not played since winning the Topeka Invitational title on Jan. 23.
3. Olathe East: 10-2. The Hawks’ last three victories have each been decided by fewer than 10 points.
4. Lee’s Summit West: 15-3. As part of a five-game win streak, the Titans have clawed out three one-possession wins.
5. Liberty North: 14-3. Michael Hughes scored the 1,000th point of his career in a win Friday against William Chrisman.
6. Blue Valley Northwest: 10-3. The Huskies’ last two Eastern Kansas League victories have been decided by five total points.
7. Raytown: 15-3. The Blue Jays head to Liberty North Friday in a matchup of two teams unbeaten in Suburban White Conference play.
8. Lawrence Free State: 10-2. The Firebirds will take the court Friday night on 10 days of rest since beating Lansing.
9. Shawnee Mission North: 9-4. Michael Weathers scored 18 of his 24 points in the fourth quarter, but the Indians fell in the Nixa Tournament championship on Saturday.
10. Blue Valley: 10-3. The Tigers’ one-point loss to Blue Valley Northwest on Tuesday snapped a six-game winning streak.
1. Barstow: 17-2. Tripp Walsworth made five three-pointers in Tuesday’s win against Kansas City Christian.
2. Basehor-Linwood: 12-1. The Bobcats rebounded from their first loss of the season with a pair of dominant victories.
3. Bonner Springs: 12-1. The Braves have two players averaging double digits through the first 12 games of the season.
4. O’Hara: 17-4. The Celtics have won 10 of 11, scoring 70-plus points in nine of the 10 victories.
5. Hogan Prep: 16-3. During a four-game winning streak, the Rams’ average margin of victory is 16 points.
1. Olathe South: 12-0. The Falcons will try to win their third matchup this season with Leavenworth on Friday.
2. Shawnee Mission Northwest: 11-2. The Cougars have won six consecutive games since back-to-back Sunflower League losses.
3. Leavenworth: 10-3. The Pioneers seek to avenge a pair of losses to Olathe South and move up in the Sunflower League at home Friday.
4. Liberty: 15-3. After back-to-back losses, the Blue Jays bounced back to defeat Truman and take the Suburban Red Conference lead.
5. North Kansas City: 16-2. The Hornets let an early double-digit lead slip away in Wednesday’s loss to St. Joseph Central.
6. Olathe East: 11-2. The Hawks fell to Sunflower League foe Shawnee Mission Northwest in overtime to take second in the Mid America Classic on Saturday.
7. St. Thomas Aquinas: 10-3. Allie Koster and Sereena Weledji received all-tournament honors for leading the Saints to a Capitol City Classic title.
8. St. Teresa’s Academy: 14-4. After trailing at halftime, the Stars outscored SM North 32-15 in the second half Tuesday for their fourth straight win.
9. Lawrence Free State: 10-3. Free State lost in the semifinals, but bounced back and took third in its Firebird Winter Classic.
10. Blue Springs South: 12-6. The Jaguars have won six straight and will play in the Northland Classic championship game Friday.
1. Bishop Miege: 13-0. Despite missing a starter, the Stags won the Newton Tournament handily over the weekend.
2. Piper: 13-1. The Pirates suffered their first loss of the season to Baldwin in their lowest scoring game.
3. St. Pius X: 16-2. A two-point loss to Blue Springs South on Wednesday ended a 13-game winning streak.
4. Paola: 12-1. Three Panthers reached double figures in Monday’s victory at Louisburg.
5. O’Hara: 15-4. The Celtics won the Grain Valley Sonic Showdown, with Gabbi Cook and Tiana Gipson receiving all-tournament team honors.