High School Sports

Truman girls rally past Olathe Northwest at Hy-Vee Shootout

Truman High’s Kierra Collier took a shot against Olathe Northwest’s Kaylie Kappelmann (left) and Sami Marks during Wednesday’s game at the Hy-Vee Shootout. Collier finished with a game-high 25 points.
Truman High’s Kierra Collier took a shot against Olathe Northwest’s Kaylie Kappelmann (left) and Sami Marks during Wednesday’s game at the Hy-Vee Shootout. Collier finished with a game-high 25 points. Special to The Star

Truman’s girls basketball team entered the final quarter trailing by two points against Olathe Northwest on Wednesday evening in the 20th annual Hy-Vee Shootout at Avila University.

Instead of being disheartened from giving up 13 three-pointers through three quarters against Olathe Northwest, the Patriots dug in defensively and that allowed them to come away with a 64-59 victory.

“They (Ravens) play a very unorthodox style,” said Truman coach Steve Cassity. “It is hard to defend against that because we don’t practice it.

“It took a lot of guts, heart and determination to come out on top. We kept battling. We kept pushing the ball and got some easy baskets.”

Truman, 5-2, scored the first 10 points in the fourth quarter and did not surrender a field goal to the Ravens until 2 minutes remained in the game.

The combination of sophomore guard Kierra Collier and junior forward Alexis Hart proved to be too much. Collier broke through the pressure defense and Hart was waiting for the basketball underneath the goal. Collier finished with a game-high 25 points and Hart scored seven of her 15 points in the fourth quarter.

“It was a team effort,” Collier said. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammates. They helped on defense and I just tried to push it up the court.”

Olathe Northwest had momentum in its favor late in the third. A three-pointer by junior Ryley DeMaro gave the Ravens a 46-44 lead. A minute later, a three-pointer by Annemarie Boeh made it 49-46 in favor of the Ravens. Their lead grew by one more point.

Truman scored the final two points in the third quarter on a field goal by Sasha Quarles and then added 10 more at the start of the fourth quarter for a 58-50 lead.

“We got a little gassed,” said Olathe Northwest coach Joel Branstrom. “We had a real tough time containing Collier.”

Olathe Northwest made a late rally and closed to 61-59, but a basket by Hart with under a minute to go put the game away for the Patriots.

The Ravens finished the game 15 for 38 from three-point range.

Bishop Miege 57, Kearney 23

Bishop Miege girl’s basketball team remained perfect on the young season by playing a near-perfect brand of full-court press basketball.

The Stags scored 30 of the first 36 points of the game and breezed to a 57-23 victory. Miege improved to 3-0.

In building a 37-10 halftime lead, Bishop Miege shot 50 percent from the field while holding Kearney to 22 percent. The Stags also forced 15 turnovers in the first half.

Junior Tristen McFeders led Bishop Miege with 15 points and junior Shelbe Piggie added 10.

Washington boys 68, Kearney 39

Washington scored the first 11 points and was never threatened.

The Wildcats opened with a three-pointer from JaMarkus Dawn. Dawn scored the next field goal followed by two straight field goals from James McNeal. Trayvon Hards concluded the 11-0 run with a field goal.

Washington built a 15-2 lead before Kearney finally settled down and grew accustomed to the Wildcats up-tempo style. Kearney closed to 20-13 midway through the second quarter and was at the free throw line to draw closer.

Kearney missed both free throws. Washington scored the next four points and led by double digits the rest of the game.

McNeal led Washington with 16 points and four assists. William Jefferson pulled down 14 rebounds for the Wildcats.

Raytown South 63, St. James Academy 56

Raytown South led the entire second half, but needed to play hard until the final seconds ticked off the clock to secure a victory over a pesky St. James Academy team.

The Thunder made it interesting, especially when it stormed back from a 36-26 deficit early in the third quarter and closed to 53-52 midway through the fourth quarter.

Junior Bryan Trimble made sure Raytown South kept the lead. He made two straight baskets that gave the Cardinals a 57-52 lead.

Trimble also made two key free throws with less than 2 minutes left that gave Raytown South a 59-54 lead. Trimble finished with 20 points. Tyrone Gibbs, who also made a couple free throws late in the game, added 12.

Junior Tony Sisco came off the bench and sparked Raytown South to a 34-26 halftime lead. Sisco went three for four on three-pointers and scored 11 points in the first half. Sisco finished with 13.

His most important three pointer came when St. James closed to 22-21. The three-pointer ignited a 7-0 run that gave Raytown South a 29-21 lead.

Mitchell Zubradt led St. James with 16 points and Collin McKee added 15.