High School Sports

Blue Springs Wildcats run past Lee’s Summit in season opener in football

File photo

All things considered, the season couldn’t have gotten off to a better start for Michael Warmack and Blue Springs. Or a worse one for Lee’s Summit.

Sure, Warmack had a game-opening touchdown kickoff return called back, but he scored for the Wildcats anyway on their first possession.

Lee’s Summit first possession ended with a fumble, and it was all Wildcats from there. Blue Springs looked everything like the No. 1 ranked team in Missouri Class 6 as it rolled to a 43-7 victory on Friday night at Lee’s Summit.

Warmack appeared to have the first points of the season for Blue Springs when he took the opening kickoff at the 1-yard line and sprinted 99 yards to the end zone. But a holding call on the Wildcats’ 40 brought it back.

No problem. Two plays later, Warmack took a handoff at the Lee’s Summit 2-yard line and ran in it for the first of his two touchdowns. He also punched in a two-point conversion for an 8-0 lead.

“I was determined,” said Warmack, who scored two touchdowns in his first game after an injury-riddled junior season. “Even with setbacks you’ve got to step up and make another play.”

And there weren’t many setbacks for Blue Springs, which displayed its full array offensive weapons and a defense that never let a young Lee’s Summit team get untracked. That pleased Wildcats coach Kelly Donohoe as much as watching Warmack atone for the nullified return.

“I thought our kids played really well,” Donohoe said. “I liked how we came out before the game. It was very businesslike; our guys are pretty veteran to where their eyes don’t get real big.”

Lee’s Summit’s first possession started promising, with sophomore quarterback Darrias Pearsall completing a long pass to speedy receiver Somaj Brewer. But the Tigers only made it to the Wildcats’ 39 before fumbling the ball away.

Blue Springs took control in the second quarter with two quick TDs from wide receiver Cade Musser. Musser, a transfer from St. Joseph Central, scored from 3 yards out in the opening minutes of the second quarter and tacked on a 32-yard TD run on the Wildcats’ next possession.

But the dagger came in the closing seconds of the second quarter. Blue Springs took over on downs on its 19 with 1:12 left in the half and needed only two plays before quarterback Chase Donohoe connected with Tre Wheaton, who slipped a defender midfield and sprinted 64 yards down the sideline to the end zone. Blue Springs went into halftime up 29-0.

Warmack’s second TD, a 10-yard run up the middle early in the third quarter, pushed Blue Springs’ lead to 36-0. He also had a 75-yard kickoff return in the fourth quarter.

“I was really happy for Mike because he battled so many injuries a year ago,” Donohoe said. “It was nice to see him have a really nice game.”

Lee’s Summit finally got on the board midway through the third quarter on a 2-yard touchdown run by Kaleb Herbel that was set up by a nifty 42-yard shovel pass up the middle from Pearsall to tight end Spencer Parker. But it was too little, too late.

Blue Spring added another TD with a 7-yard run up the middle by reserve running back Nick Wood in the fourth quarter. That capped the scoring, and a near perfect start for the Wildcats.

“We practiced hard all week, had a good game plan and we executed,” Warmack said.