University of Missouri

Confrontation at bar precipitated Mizzou QB Maty Mauk’s latest suspension

Quarterback Maty Mauk won’t be suiting up for Missouri the rest of this season.
Quarterback Maty Mauk won’t be suiting up for Missouri the rest of this season. The Associated Press

Missouri junior quarterback Maty Mauk was involved in an incident outside a Columbia bar late Wednesday night mere hours after apologizing to his teammates for a four-game suspension for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

An employee at the Field House, 1107 E. Broadway in Columbia, confirmed Monday that Mauk was involved in a drunken confrontation with another patron that night and was kicked out of the bar.

“There was an altercation, whether it be physical or verbal, and Maty Mauk was asked to leave,” the employee told The Star.

There is no police record of the incident, but it prompted Tigers coach Gary Pinkel to reverse course less than a week after reinstating Mauk, announcing Sunday that Mauk would be suspended for the season.

Pinkel consulted athletic director Mack Rhoades in the process of making the decision, a source with knowledge of the situation said.

During his weekly press conference Sunday, Pinkel declined to address specifics about the reason for Mauk’s second suspension.

“I’ve been doing this for a long time,” he said. “I’ve been a head football coach for 25 years. I’ve handled discipline problems the exact same way I’ve been doing for 25 years; it’s very consistent. What we did here (with Mauk) is exactly like I’ve always done it. That’s what we do. That’s what we believe.

“We don’t overlook things. We don’t cover things up. We do what’s right. A lot of other places would find ways to get the problem solved without doing what we do, but we don’t do that at Missouri. I’ve never done that. I never will.”

Mauk initially was suspended Sept. 29 along with reserve offensive lineman Malik Cuellar, a junior who transferred from City College of San Francisco.

Cuellar missed the South Carolina game on Oct. 3, but was reinstated the next week.

Mauk missed four games before he was reinstated Oct. 25 by Pinkel and returned to the field Oct. 27 for Missouri’s only bye-week practice.

Pinkel said Wednesday during the weekly SEC football coaches’ teleconference that Mauk had asked to speak with the team, saying “it was great of him to do that.”

Sophomore wide receiver J’Mon Moore said Mauk vowed to get his act together and be the leader he’s supposed to be for the Tigers when he addressed the team.

Several teammates remarked about Mauk’s sincerity.

“It was sincere and you know that he meant everything about it,” senior center and captain Evan Boehm said. “You believed him and you trust the kid. And I still believe him and trust the kid, but we have to have his best interests in mind and keep him healthy and keep him OK.”

Sincere or not, Mauk’s actions only a few hours after addressing the team led Pinkel to suspend him for the remainder of the season.

It’s been a turbulent season personally for Mauk, who no longer appears on the team’s official roster in the weekly game notes for Thursday’s showdown with Mississippi State.

Mauk’s father, Mike, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer during the summer. He underwent a procedure in Springfield, Mo., where he coaches the Glendale High football team, on Sept. 28, the day before the first suspension was announced.

Missouri was 3-1 at the time of Mauk’s suspension, but the offense had struggled in a win against Connecticut and a loss at Kentucky in the final two games he played.

Mauk split reps with his replacement, freshman Drew Lock, during last week’s practice, but it’s unclear if or how much Mauk would have played moving forward.

The answer now, of course, is that he won’t.

“It was coach Pinkel and the coaching staff’s decision, and when they make a decision it’s for the kid and to make sure that his life and everything with him is OK,” Boehm said.