University of Kansas

Brannen Greene says he’ll enter NBA draft and leave KU

Brannen Greene will enter the NBA draft instead of returning to KU for his senior season.
Brannen Greene will enter the NBA draft instead of returning to KU for his senior season. rsugg@kcstar.com

Kansas guard Brannen Greene is the latest player to announce his intention to leave the program for the pros.

Greene, a junior declared for the NBA draft and is planning to hire an agent, KU coach Bill Self announced Wednesday.

“I certainly understand Brannen making this decision,” Self said. “We wish him nothing but the very best. He has an NBA skill that I think will translate very well to the next level. We appreciate his efforts during his time at Kansas.”

Greene, who averaged 5.4 points per game, is an outside shooting specialist who made 49 percent of his three-pointers this season (31 of 63). He sat out KU’s last two games of the NCAA Tournament because of a back injury.

“I feel like it is the best decision for me moving forward to take my talents to play professionally,” Greene said in a release. “I want to thank my teammates for all the great times we had and all the battles we went through together. I want to thank the coaches for taking the time to work with me throughout my three years. I definitely want to thank the fans. Running out to 16,000 every night, that won’t be replaced at all in any way.”

The announcement ends what appeared to be a strained relationship between Greene and Self. Earlier this season, Greene was suspended six games after he was involved in a postgame argument with Self over playing time following KU’s 79-73 loss to Michigan State on Nov. 17 in the Champions Classic. Self later reduced that suspension to five games.

Greene later drew Self’s ire when he dunked the ball in the final seconds of Feb. 3’s 77-59 home victory over Kansas State. Self labeled the action as an “(expletive) move” on his postgame radio show before apologizing to K-State coach Bruce Weber and his players.

Self did not suspend Greene for that incident.

Greene previously was suspended one game by Self during his sophomore season for what Self labeled as “pattern of irresponsible behavior.” Greene also was suspended in the season finale against Oklahoma that year for “the culmination of him not being very responsible.”

In an interview with Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Eisenberg, Brannen Greene’s father, Jeffrey, said his son didn’t consider transferring.

“He wanted to be known as a former KU basketball player,” Jeffrey told Yahoo.

Greene is the third KU player to declare for the NBA draft this week. Forward Cheick Diallo did Monday, though he did not hire an agent, meaning he can still decide to return to KU by May 25.

Guard Wayne Selden announced Tuesday that he was declaring for the draft and would be hiring an agent, meaning his decision to go pro is final.

Jesse Newell: 816-234-4759, @jessenewell

This story was originally published March 30, 2016 at 3:42 PM with the headline "Brannen Greene says he’ll enter NBA draft and leave KU."

Related Stories from Kansas City Star
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER