University of Kansas

KU notes: Jayhawks staff does some quarterback evaluating


KU starting quarterback Montell Cozart (above) was replaced by junior-college transfer Deondre Ford late in the second half.
KU starting quarterback Montell Cozart (above) was replaced by junior-college transfer Deondre Ford late in the second half. skeyser@kcstar.com

One week after taking a look at true freshman quarterback Ryan Willis for two plays, the Kansas coaching staff took a longer gaze at junior-college transfer Deondre Ford, who replaced starter Montell Cozart late in the second half.

Ford completed five of 10 passes for 47 yards in the limited action.

“He played pretty good this week,” Kansas coach David Beaty said of Ford. “When he went in there, he moved us.”

When asked if Cozart was “entrenched” as the Jayhawks’ starter, Beaty said the quarterback job would continue to be evaluated while also offering his support of Cozart.

“No one is entrenched at any position ever,” Beaty said. “So that’s not going to happen. But he’s still our starter. And we’ll go back and we’ll look at this tape and we’ll evaluate that.”

Wills, who lost his redshirt last week in the opener, didn’t play on Saturday. Beaty said the staff considered using Willis as well but preferred to take an extended look at Ford.

▪  Kansas announced an official attendance of 37,798 on Saturday. It was Band Day at Memorial Stadium, with dozens of local high school marching bands taking part in the halftime show.

| Rustin Dodd, rdodd@kcstar.com

This story was originally published September 13, 2015 at 12:26 AM with the headline "KU notes: Jayhawks staff does some quarterback evaluating."

Related Stories from Kansas City Star
Sports Pass is your ticket to Kansas City sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Kansas City area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER