Missouri defensive end Shane Ray missed a shot at going two for two on All-America teams Tuesday.
The Associated Press released its annual team, one of five used by the NCAA to determine unanimous and consensus status, and Ray was left off the first team. He received second-team honors along with Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett, who was chosen as an all-purpose player.
The AP team is the second of the five major All-America teams. Ray was chosen first team at defensive end on the first, picked by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. The Sporting News, American Football Coaches Association and Football Writers Association of America have yet to release their teams.
Ray can no longer achieve unanimous All-America status but can reach consensus status by making two of the remaining three first teams.
While he didn’t make the first team, Lockett became the first K-State football player to receive recognition of some kind from All-America teams in four consecutive seasons.
Associated Press All-America college football team
FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
▪ Quarterback: Marcus Mariota, junior, 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, Oregon
▪ Running backs: Melvin Gordon, junior, 6-1, 213, Wisconsin; Tevin Coleman, junior, 6-1, 210, Indiana
▪ Tackles: Brandon Scherff, senior, 6-5, 320, Iowa; Spencer Drango, junior, 6-6, 310, Baylor
▪ Guards: Tre Jackson, senior, 6-4, 330, Florida State; Laken Tomlinson, senior, 6-3, 320, Duke
▪ Center: Reese Dismukes, senior, 6-3, 296, Auburn
▪ Tight end: Nick O’Leary, senior, 6-3, 247, Florida State
▪ Wide receivers: Amari Cooper, junior, 6-1, 210, Alabama; Rashard Higgins, sophomore, 6-2, 188, Colorado State
▪ Kicker: Roberto Aguayo, sophomore, 6-1, 203, Florida State
▪ All-purpose: Shaq Thompson, junior, 6-1, 228, Washington
FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
▪ Ends: Joey Bosa, sophomore, 6-5, 278, Ohio State; Vic Beasley, senior, 6-3, 235, Clemson.
▪ Tackles: Malcolm Brown, junior, 6-2, 320, Texas; Danny Shelton, junior, 6-2, 339, Washington.
▪ Linebackers: Scooby Wright III, sophomore, 6-1, 246, Arizona; Hau’oli Kikaha, senior, 6-3, 246, Washington; Paul Dawson, senior, 6-2, 230, TCU.
▪ Cornerbacks: Senquez Golson, senior, 5-9, 176, Mississippi; Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, senior, 5-10, 195, Oregon.
▪ Safeties: Landon Collins, junior, 6-0, 222, Alabama; Gerod Holliman, sophomore, 6-2, 213, Louisville.
▪ Punter: Tom Hackett, junior, 5-11, 187, Utah.
SECOND TEAM OFFENSE
▪ Quarterback: Trevone Boykin, junior, TCU
▪ Running backs: James Conner, sophomore, Pittsburgh; Ameer Abdullah, senior, Nebraska
▪ Tackles: La’el Collins, senior, LSU; Andrus Peat, junior, Stanford
▪ Guards: Arie Kouandjio, senior, Alabama; A.J. Cann, senior, South Carolina
▪ Center: Hroniss Grassu, senior, Oregon
▪ Tight end: Maxx Williams, sophomore, Minnesota
▪ Wide receivers: Kevin White, senior, West Virginia; Rashad Greene, senior, Florida State
▪ Kicker: Brad Craddock, junior, Maryland
▪ All-purpose: Tyler Lockett, senior, Kansas State
SECOND TEAM DEFENSE
▪ Ends: Shane Ray, junior, Missouri; Nate Orchard, senior, Utah
▪ Tackles: Leonard Williams, junior, Southern California; Robert Nkemdiche, sophomore, Mississippi
▪ Linebackers: Eric Kendricks, senior, UCLA; Benardrick McKinney, junior, Mississippi State; Jaylon Smith, sophomore, Notre Dame
▪ Cornerbacks: Vernon Hargreaves III, sophomore, Florida; Jacoby Glenn, sophomore, Central Florida
▪ Safeties: Jalen Ramsey, sophomore, Florida State; Cody Prewitt, senior, Mississippi
▪ Punter: JK Scott, freshman, Alabama
THIRD TEAM OFFENSE
▪ Quarterback: J.T. Barrett, redshirt freshman, Ohio State
▪ Running backs: Jay Ajayi, junior, Boise State; Samaje Perine, freshman, Oklahoma
▪ Tackles: Cedric Ogbuehi, senior, Texas A&M; Jake Fisher, senior, Oregon
▪ Guards: Shaquille Mason, senior, Georgia Tech; Ben Beckwith, senior, Mississippi State
▪ Center: Jack Allen, junior, Michigan State
▪ Tight end: Clive Walford, senior, Miami
▪ Wide receivers: Justin Hardy, senior, East Carolina; Nelson Agholor, junior, Southern California
▪ Kicker: Josh Lambert, sophomore, West Virginia
▪ All-purpose: J.J. Nelson, senior, UAB
THIRD TEAM DEFENSE
▪ Ends: Shawn Oakman, junior, Baylor; Randy Gregory, junior, Nebraska
▪ Tackles: Michael Bennett, senior, Ohio State; Eddie Goldman, junior, Florida State
▪ Linebackers: Denzel Perryman, senior, Miami; Mike Hull, senior, Penn State; Eric Striker, junior, Oklahoma
▪ Cornerbacks: Trae Waynes, junior, Michigan State; Kendall Fuller, sophomore, Virginia Tech
▪ Safeties: Kurtis Drummond, senior, Michigan State; Su’a Cravens, sophomore, Southern California
▪ Punter: Austin Rehkow, sophomore, Idaho