The Park women’s volleyball team moved closer to the next round of the NAIA tournament with a 3-1 victory over Eastern Oregon on Wednesday in Sioux City, Iowa.
Park, 36-0, is leading its group going into the final day of pool play Thursday, when it plays Grand View (Iowa) at 3:15 p.m. The top two teams in each of the six pools advance, but the best four teams in pool play automatically qualify for the quarterfinals Friday. The next eight teams play single-elimination matches Friday for quarterfinal berths.
▪ Benedictine lost 2-1 in the NAIA women’s soccer quarterfinals Wednesday in Orange Beach, Ala. The Ravens gave up two goals in a five-minute span in the first half and cut the deficit to one on Kara Hines’ goal in the 81st minute but couldn’t tie the score.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Central Missouri junior libero Annie Reilly, a St. James grad, and Rockhurst junior middle hitter Preecy Seever an Olathe Northwest grad, were chosen NCAA Division II first-team All-Americans by the American Volleyball Coaches Association.
▪ Central Missouri sophomore defender Emily Eldridge, a Blue Valley Southwest grad, was chosen as a first-team Division II women’s soccer All-American by Daktronics.
▪ Pittsburg State quarterback Anthony Abenoja and Northwest Missouri defensive lineman Matt Longacre were chosen as the Division II Super Region 3 football players of the year by Daktronics.
▪ The Johnson County Community College women’s basketball team was a unanimous No. 1 selection in the preseason NJCAA Division II poll.