The so-called “religious freedom” laws that are being enacted and considered in many states, including Missouri, are bad things. Don’t be fooled into thinking that Missouri’s version is different enough that we can avoid the serious unintended consequences that other states are experiencing.
This is not a case where the devil is in the details. These laws are all flawed to the core, and no amount of exceptions or clever language can make them acceptable.
Senate Joint Resolution 39 needs to be vigorously opposed and defeated.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Tax season is a good time to think about taxes and not succumb to the fabricated story we’re told that taxes are evil. It is crucial that we reject the ploy by billionaires and huge corporations that profit the most from the tax-cutting frenzy.
Yes, I know we work hard for our money (and some are not even paid a livable wage), and there are other things we could do with our tax dollars. However, our cities, states and nation make and could make more essential investments that improve all of our lives.
That would include better quality health care and excellent education (without huge debts); safe food, clean air and drinkable water; good roads; efficient public transportation; a clean environment; renewable energy; livable-wage jobs; better parks and arts; and help for those in need.
Taxes are part of a social contract we have with our government and with each other to serve our collective needs.
We invite you to post what you think taxes are good for or ways you think they should not be spent (e.g., maybe too much on mass incarceration, war, giveaways to oil companies).
Go to “Taxe$ What Are They Good For?” Facebook page: bit.ly/TaxesWhat.
People must vote
Last year, when City Council members and our Kansas City mayor were up for election, fewer than 10 percent of eligible voters went to the polls.
Ninety percent of eligible Kansas City voters decided to let fewer than 10 percent of us decide who will speak for all of us at City Hall.
I have a problem with this.
A major issue is that registration and voting times are inconvenient for many people, especially women, who must juggle jobs, child care and transportation.
How can we alleviate these obstacles?
Voting should be easy and convenient, not a burden or a chore.
Do some research and remember which candidates at local, state and national levels speak out and work for uncomplicated voter registration and more convenient voting times.
Please, let your voice be heard. Voting is not only your right, but it is also your responsibility.
Don’t let 10 percent of us continue to express election decisions for the other 90 percent.
I watch the evening news and read political coverage in The Kansas City Star and other sources and I keep wondering whether the Republican Party is having its 1968.
The Reagan coalition has fractured into internecine open war.
Former first lady Nancy Reagan’s death is a symbol of the coalition’s passing. Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump’s dark vitriol stands in stark contrast to former President Ronald Reagan’s shining city on a hill.
Although I’m a Democrat, I’m saddened by the Republican Party’s devolution.
To the person who came to a complete stop on the on-ramp to Interstate 29 north recently around 6 a.m., on-ramps are for building speed so you can merge into traffic at a similar speed as other drivers. You, however, chose to come to a complete stop instead of building speed to gracefully merge.
This was quite the unexpected behavior, and the motorists behind you who were accelerating per custom were forced to suddenly and unexpectedly stop in reaction to your behavior.
But you drove off merrily, completely unaware of the complications you caused by your erratic and timid driving.
Please be aware of your actions and try to be a more confident driver who understands the practices and conventions most other motorists follow.
That would help ensure that traffic flows smoothly.