Alex Gordon’s four-year, $72 million contract to remain with the Royals is the largest in franchise history in terms of overall and average yearly value.
Largest Royals contracts for a single season or by average yearly salary
1. OF Alex Gordon, $18M (2016-19 avg.)*
2. (tie) OF Alex Gordon, $14M (2015)
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2. (tie) SP Ian Kennedy, $14M (2016-20 avg.)**
4. SP James Shields, $13.5M (2014)
5. SP Ervin Santana, $13M (2013)
6. SP Gil Meche, $12.4M (2010)
7. OF Jose Guillen, $12M (2008-10 avg.)
8. SP Gil Meche, $11.4M (2008, 2009)
9. SP James Shields, $11.25M (2013)
10. 1B/DH Mike Sweeney, $11M (2003-07 avg.)
*Gordon will make $16 million in 2017, $20 million in 2018 and $20 million again in $2019. His contract also contains a $4 million buyout clause for a $23 million mutual option in 2020.
**Kennedy's agreement with Royals is not official. He reportedly can opt out of contract after 2017.
Largest Royals contracts by total value
1. OF Alex Gordon, $72M/four years (2016-19)
2. SP Ian Kennedy, $70M/five years (2016-20)
3. (tie) 1B/DH Mike Sweeney, $55M/five years (2003-07)
3. (tie) SP Gil Meche, $55M/five years (2007-10*)
*walked away from final year of contract
Sources: Kansas City Star reports, Cot’s Baseball Contracts