The fine folks at MLB Trade Rumors, led by a fellow named Matt Swartz, have developed a pretty accurate projection system for arbitration figures. You can read the whole thing here, but for now, let’s just focus on the Royals.
The Royals have 11 players who are eligible for arbitration. Four of those players — Tim Collins, Louis Coleman, Aaron Crow and Jayson Nix — are candidates to be non-tendered. But we’ll include them on this list just for the sake of completeness.
Here are the projected salaries from MLBTR (ranked by service time):
1. Jayson Nix: $950,000
2. Greg Holland: $9.3 million
3. Aaron Crow: $2 million
4. Eric Hosmer: $5.2 million
5. Mike Moustakas: $2.7 million
6. Tim Collins: $1.5 million
7. Jarrod Dyson: $1.3 million
8. Danny Duffy: $2.6 million
9. Lorenzo Cain: $2.3 million
10. Louis Coleman: $700,000
11. Kelvin Herrera: $1.5 million
There are just projections. But the number for Holland is alarming, basically his $4.68 million salary in 2014 doubled. That is a sizable sum for a one-inning reliever, especially when the team is already paying Wade Davis $7 million.