Opinion articles provide independent perspectives on key community issues, separate from our newsroom reporting.

Opinion

Reports detail potential split between Ervin Santana’s agents

The free-agent saga of Ervin Santana took another turn on Thursday, when reports detailed a potential split between his two agents, Jay Alou and Bean Stringfellow. Alou wrote on Twitter that he still represented Santana, a fact Royals general manager Dayton Moore confirmed on Friday.

Moore said he spoke with Alou during the morning. He found nothing had changed with Santana, who pitched well for the Royals in 2013, but still seeks a contract outside the organization’s comfort zone.

"I don’t think it’s anything that we’re going to be able to work with," Moore said.

He added, "Nothing’s changed on our end."

Earlier this spring, Ubaldo Jimenez signed a four-year, $50 million contract with Baltimore. The belief is Santana seeks something similar. CBS Sports listed Baltimore, Toronto and Seattle among the serious suitors for Santana.

This story was originally published March 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM with the headline "Reports detail potential split between Ervin Santana’s agents."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER