The Royals’ Norichika Aoki beat out the throw to Baltimore Orioles first baseman Chris Davis on a grounder in the first inning on May 17, 2014, at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. The Royals won 1-0.
The Kansas City Star
The Royals and the Orioles begin their best-of-seven American League Championship Series on Friday, but they’ve already played seven times this season, with the Royals winning four times.
The first three games were in Baltimore in April, followed by a four-game series in Kansas City in May.
Here’s how the Royals did and The Star’s coverage of those games:
April 25: 5-0 W: Yordano Ventura shuts down Orioles as Royals get 5-0 win
▪ Don’t obsess over Ventura’s 100-mph fastball
▪ Royals’ Jeremy Guthrie has fond memories of Baltimore
April 26: 3-2 L: Royals lose 3-2 to Orioles in 10 innings
April 27: 9-3 W: Omar Infante’s six RBIs lead Royals over Orioles 9-3
▪ Omar Infante’s two-out approach
May 15: 2-1 L: Ventura shines but Royals fall to Orioles 2-1
▪ How Nelson Cruz hit a home run; why Danny Valencia didn’t
May 16: 4-0 L: The three most important things in real estate and baseball
▪ Box score
May 17: 1-0 W: Danny Duffy flirts with perfection as Royals shut out Orioles 1-0
▪ Danny Duffy is six and two-thirds perfect; how he did it
▪ Ned Yost ejected for first time in 2014
May 18: 8-6 W: Alex Gordon belts two homers as Royals beat Orioles 8-6
▪ At last embracing his speed, Jarrod Dyson adds extra dimension to Royals
▪ Omar Infante is on the mend, but his return to Royals’ lineup is still uncertain
▪ With no backup middle infielder, Alcides Escobar plays one day after getting spiked