Monday’s 14-1 loss at Yankee Stadium was a day Jeremy Guthrie and the Royals would probably rather forget:
▪ The defeat was the Royals’ worst since a 16-2 loss to Detroit on Sept. 6, 2013.
▪ The Royals had given up 10 runs in a game before only once this season.
▪ Jeremy Guthrie gave up the most runs by a Royals pitcher since Vin Mazarro gave up 14 in relief on May 16, 2011.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Guthrie gave up eight runs in the first inning, the first Royal to do so since Mark Redman on September 23, 2006.
▪ Guthrie became the first Royal to give up three home runs in one inning since Kelvin Herrera did it against the Atlanta Braves on April 6, 2013.
▪ Guthrie is the eighth pitcher to give up four homers before getting four outs, according to research to 1914 by STATS.
▪ Guthrie also the third starter to give up at least 11 runs while getting three outs or fewer, STATS said.
▪ Greg Holland, pitching for the first time in 11 days, gave up two walks, a two-run homer and was pulled after 0.1inning.
▪ When the game was all but over, first baseman Eric Hosmer moved to right field — and allowed a pop-up to drop for a single. Salvador Perez, who had the day off from catching, went in to play first.
▪ Jarrod Dyson was thrown out stealing in the fifth inning — while the Royals trailed by 11 runs.