The entire Royals organization gathered Monday morning between Dick Howser Field and Frank White Field for a ceremony. The club gave out its minor-league awards, in addition to championship rings for members of the Class AAA champion Omaha Storm Chasers.
Here are the recipients:
▪ Frank White Defensive Player of the Year Award: Humberto Arteaga, a 21-year-old shortstop who spent last season at Class A Lexington.
▪ Paul Splittorff Award (best pitcher in minor-league organization): Christian Binford, the 22-year-old right-hander who posted a 2.88 ERA between Class A Wilmington, Class AA Northwest Arkansas and Class AAA Omaha.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Mike Sweeney Award (“recognizes a player who best represents the organization on and off the field”): Malcolm Culver, a 25-year-old pitcher who spent 2014 with Northwest Arkansas and Omaha.
▪ Carlos Fortuna Award (“recognizes a player who is dedicated to improving his English, work ethic and conduct”): Angel Franco, 24-year-old with Northwest Arkansas.
▪ Willie Wilson Baserunner of The Year: Terrance Gore, the 23-year-old outfielder who stole five bases in the majors last September.
▪ George Brett Hitter of the Year: Whit Merrifield, the 26-year-old outfielder who hit .319 between Northwest Arkansas and Omaha.