Greetings from The Star’s spring training bureau, a condo a few miles away from the Royals complex here in the northwestern corner of the Cactus League. We will be here for the duration of spring training as the Kansas City Royals prepare to defend their American League crown.
Some key dates (schedule here): Pitchers and catchers report on Thursday. The entire squad (roster breakdown here) convenes on Feb. 24. The first game is March 4, against the Rangers, at their shared home of Surprise Stadium.
FROM THE STAR
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ 1. An update on Alex Gordon, who still has not swung a bat or thrown a baseball since wrist surgery last month.
▪ 2. Vahe Gregorian wrote a column from Dayton Moore’s appearance at the Tiger Club in Kansas City on Tuesday. Moore remains “haunted” by the team’s defeat in the World Series.
▪ 3. I will be hosting a chat on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Ask your questions now.
▪ 4. ICYMI: The Star’s recreation of the final moments of game seven.
▪ 5. Sam Mellinger discussed both the Royals and my general inattentiveness to his nonsense on Twitter Tuesday.
▪ 6. In this video, Gregorian and Blair Kerkhoff prop Mellinger up with their professionalism.
HERE IS SOME ROCK MUSIC
“Possessed” by Eagulls.