Missouri

Groom shot during wedding reception is out of ICU a month later, Missouri family says

A man was shot in a robbery during his wedding reception, family said.
A man was shot in a robbery during his wedding reception, family said. GoFundMe screengrab

Nearly one month after a man was shot in the head on his wedding night, a Missouri family has reported “great news” about his condition.

Francisco Gonzalez, who has been hospitalized since the June 29 shooting in St. Louis, is now alert and out of a hospital’s intensive care unit after previously being put into a medically induced coma, family shared in a GoFundMe update.

“As of today, he’s not yet walking but they have him sitting up in a chair,” the July 27 update read. “He’s starting to speak some but it’s very soft, like a whisper. He can move his legs and feet but not his toes yet. He’s having some trouble remembering his wife and children but does remember other family members.”

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department said two masked men entered a backyard of a home during the gathering around 1 a.m. on June 29.

The gathering was for Francisco Gonzalez’s marriage to his bride, Dulce, KTVI reported, with their children reportedly in attendance. One of the men was armed with two handguns, and they shot the 32-year-old groom after announcing their robbery attempt, police said.

Both suspects ran away on foot, according to police.

Family said Dulce Gonzalez has been by her husband’s side each day in the hospital, according to the GoFundMe.

But in the update, family said the police investigation has been “slow moving” and “no arrests have been made.”

Lucy Peña Villa, a family member who previously asked the community for help identifying the gunmen, said the hope is that Francisco Gonzalez will be discharged from the hospital “very soon.”

Read Next
Read Next
MS
Mike Stunson
Lexington Herald-Leader
Mike Stunson covers real-time news for McClatchy. He is a 2011 Western Kentucky University graduate who has previously worked at the Paducah Sun and Madisonville Messenger as a sports reporter and the Lexington Herald-Leader as a breaking news reporter. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER