WICHITA – A central Kansas man has suffered several electrical shocks while helping to harvest a soybean field.
The Salina Journal reports that 24-year-old Zachary Short was flown to a Wichita hospital Saturday with critical injuries.
Saline County Sheriff’s deputy Chad Flesher said that after cutting a soybean field, an auger boom that would have transferred the soybeans into a semi came in contact with power lines. The current caused sparks, and Short grabbed a fire extinguisher.
Flesher says Short was vaulting over the hitch between the tractor and grain cart when he was thrown backward.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Short collapsed against the frame of the grain cart. One of the other men helping with the harvest found a plastic shovel and was able to move Short away from the electric current.