National

Pope Francis confirms planned U.S. trip


Pope Francis delivers his blessing during the Angelus noon prayer from his studio's window overlooking St. Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Sunday.
Pope Francis delivers his blessing during the Angelus noon prayer from his studio's window overlooking St. Peter's Square, at the Vatican, Sunday. AP

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis has confirmed it: He will travel to the U.S. next year to participate in a rally for families in Philadelphia.

Earlier this summer, Francis had said he hoped to make the September meeting. But he confirmed his presence at the World Meeting of Families during a speech Monday to an interreligious conference on traditional family values at the Vatican.

He said: “I wish to confirm according to the wishes of the Lord, that in September of 2015, I will go to Philadelphia for the World Meeting of Families.”

Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput, who is organizing the meeting, welcomed the news. He told The Associated Press: “I applauded the loudest” when Francis made the announcement.

This story was originally published November 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM with the headline "Pope Francis confirms planned U.S. trip."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER