National

Driver falls asleep and hits horse and buggy, killing 2 children, PA cops say

Six people were thrown from the buggy (not pictured), including four children, state police say.
Six people were thrown from the buggy (not pictured), including four children, state police say. Unsplash via Rocky Friz

Members of the Amish community are grieving the deaths of two children, who were killed when the driver of a Mini Cooper struck their horse and buggy, Pennsylvania authorities say.

The 39-year-old driver said he had fallen asleep Sept. 28 when he struck the horse-drawn buggy carrying a family of six in Jackson Township, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

All six occupants of the buggy were thrown, including four children, police said. Their horse was killed.

Troopers said a 7-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene and a 9-year-old boy died after being taken to a hospital. Two others had serious injuries and two occupants had minor injuries.

It’s unclear if the Mini Cooper driver will face charges. He received minor injuries and was hospitalized in Danville, state police said.

Ervan Zook, the patriarch of the family, suffered a brain bleed, according to a GoFundMe, but by Oct. 1 he had opened his eyes and was speaking.

“The Zooks have been a source of inspiration and kindness in our lives for many years. Ervan and his father single handedly built our log house in Dornsife,” Sarah Retherford said in a Facebook post. “We feel fortunate to have crossed paths with this exceptional family, whose unwavering faith is so strong!”

The organizer of the fundraiser said Ervan Zook’s wife, Leah, was alert Sept. 29. Their 3-year-old son had not woken up, and the couple’s baby sustained broken bones “but is doing well.”

Jackson Township is about a 100-mile drive north from Philadelphia.

Read Next
MS
Mike Stunson
Lexington Herald-Leader
Mike Stunson covers real-time news for McClatchy. He is a 2011 Western Kentucky University graduate who has previously worked at the Paducah Sun and Madisonville Messenger as a sports reporter and the Lexington Herald-Leader as a breaking news reporter. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER