National

IHOP worker accused of stabbing 2 customers calls it self-defense, NE cops say

The IHOP worker was arrested after the incident, authorities said.
The IHOP worker was arrested after the incident, authorities said. Street View image from Sept. 2022. © 2025 Google

Two IHOP customers were hospitalized following a stabbing carried out by an employee of the Nebraska restaurant, authorities say.

Braylon Cummings, a 19-year-old man who is charged with two counts of assault, said his June 1 actions were done in self-defense, according to an affidavit filed in Douglas County.

Security camera footage, however, refuted his story, according to the court documents.

Officers in Omaha were dispatched to the IHOP in response to a cutting, police said.

At the restaurant, they found a 21-year-old man, who officers said had “several lacerations consistent with being assaulted with an edged weapon.” He was taken to a hospital and underwent surgery.

A second victim, 20, transported himself to a hospital with similar injuries, according to the affidavit.

Cummings remained on scene after the incident and later was interviewed at police headquarters, authorities said. He admitted to stabbing the first victim because his “associate” was assaulting his father, according to his testimony.

Bruce Lloyd, Cummings’ father, backed up his son’s telling of the events in an interview with KETV. Lloyd, who also works at the restaurant, said a table of six became confrontational with him before his son stepped in.

“What was he supposed to do? Let his dad get his butt kicked?” Lloyd told the news outlet.

As officers reviewed camera footage from the incident, they learned the worker’s statement was inconsistent with the video evidence, police said. The video, according to the court documents, showed him “swinging the edged object,” injuring both victims.

Cummings was jailed in Douglass County on a $100,000 bond, records show.

Read Next
Read Next
Read Next
MS
Mike Stunson
Lexington Herald-Leader
Mike Stunson covers real-time news for McClatchy. He is a 2011 Western Kentucky University graduate who has previously worked at the Paducah Sun and Madisonville Messenger as a sports reporter and the Lexington Herald-Leader as a breaking news reporter. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER