Nation & World

‘Brain-eating amoeba’ that killed man might have been in Texas surf resort pool, CDC says

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, New Jersey, died from Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as a ‘brain-eating amoeba,’ after visiting a surf resort outside of Waco, Texas. The resort closed Friday so the CDC could take water samples.
Fabrizio Stabile, 29, of Ventnor, New Jersey, died from Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as a ‘brain-eating amoeba,’ after visiting a surf resort outside of Waco, Texas. The resort closed Friday so the CDC could take water samples. GoFundMe

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing the water from a wave pool at a surf resort outside of Waco, Texas, after a 29-year-old visitor died from an infection caused by a rare, ‘brain-eating’ amoeba.

Fabrizio Stabile, of Ventnor, New Jersey, was mowing his lawn on September 16, when “he suddenly experienced a severe headache,” according to a GoFundMe page established in his name.

He died five days later after being diagnosed with Naegleria fowleri, the GoFundMe page says. The microscopic amoeba, commonly known as the “brain-eating amoeba,” causes a usually fatal infection of the brain, the CDC says.

It’s unclear from media reports when Stabile visited BSR Cable Park Surf Resort in Texas.

“The CDC collected water samples and are currently investigating to find the source,” Kelly Craine, spokeswoman for the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District, told KBTX in Bryan, Texas.

Craine told the Waco Tribune-Herald that the park closed voluntarily on Friday pending the investigation’s outcome.

  Comments