Nation & World

Man arrested in deaths of ‘Food Network Star’ finalist, husband

Authorities have charged a North Carolina man with first-degree murder in the deaths of a finalist from the TV show “Food Network Star,” her husband and their unborn child.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported Wednesday that Robert Jason Owens is being held without bond in the deaths of 38-year-old Cristie Schoen Codd and 45-year-old Joseph Codd.

Cristie Codd was a movie-set caterer and past finalist on “Food Network Star.”

Buncombe County Sheriff Van Duncan says the 36-year-old Owens did odd jobs for the couple. They were reported missing Sunday.

The newspaper says Owens was previously suspected 15 years ago in the disappearance of a college student. The body of 18-year-old Zebb Quinn was never found.

A phone message seeking comment from Owens’ lawyer was not returned.

This story was originally published March 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM with the headline "Man arrested in deaths of ‘Food Network Star’ finalist, husband."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER