There are things you want for Christmas. Then there are things our area Mo-Kan pols need for Christmas.
Let’s run it down.
▪ Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon: a 2014 do-over.
▪ Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback: a good, old-fashioned, reliable calculator to help him keep track of the state’s burgeoning budget deficit.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill: An announcement from Attorney General, and fellow Democrat, Chris Koster that, sure, he’d like a third term as attorney general. And, sure, he can wait a while longer to run for governor.
▪ Mark Holland, mayor of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County. A few million bucks to complete the development of a new downtown grocery store and a state-of-the art community and fitness center.
▪ Kansas City Mayor Sly James. Oh, just $4 or $5 billion. A billion or two for a new sewer system. A billion for an expanded streetcar system. And another billion for a major east-side development. Santa? Please?
▪ Missouri Congressman Emanuel Cleaver, a Kansas City Democrat: Life without the words “car wash.”
▪ Kansas Sen. Jerry Moran: A quote from tea partier Milton Wolf, who might run against Moran in 2016, that would go like this: “Keep it up, Jerry. You are an outstanding senator.”
▪ Democrat Paul Davis, who lost to Brownback in the closest Kansas gubernatorial race in 28 years in November: the understanding that his time may not have passed.
▪ Transit activist Clay Chastain: a real life.