Here’s what Missouri leaders were saying today about the passing of state Auditor Tom Schweich:
▪ “I join all Missourians in mourning the passing of State Auditor Tom Schweich, a brilliant, devoted and accomplished public servant who dedicated his career to making Missouri and the world a better place. From his courageous work to combat the illegal drug trade abroad in Afghanistan to his tireless efforts to protect the interests of taxpayers here in Missouri, Tom Schweich’s exceptional intellect and unwavering dedication to public service left a legacy that will endure for many years to come.” — Gov. Jay Nixon.
▪ “Tom was very smart, very capable, outstanding at his job, and a good friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with Kathy, their children, and the rest of Tom’s friends and family as they deal with this tragic loss.” — Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt.
▪ “I am very sad, and hurt so much for Tom Schweich’s family. He was a good man, and a dedicated public servant, who served our country in so many capacities with distinction and honor. Hug those you love.” — Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ “I am heartbroken to hear of Tom’s death. He was a dedicated public servant who truly cared for and fought for Missourians. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to his wife and children.” — Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler of the 4th District.
▪ “I am in utter shock at the news of Tom Schweich’s tragic passing. Tom will be remembered as a tenacious, energetic, effective elected official who worked tirelessly on behalf of the citizens of this state and this nation. I ask all Missourians to join me in praying for Tom’s family.” — Missouri GOP chairman John Hancock.
▪ “It is with great sadness that I heard today of the tragic passing of Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich. Tom had a long and unblemished record as a great public servant. As the state’s auditor for the past four years he has served Missouri taxpayers with quiet competence and unswerving dedication.” — Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder.
▪ “It is with a heavy heart that I send my thoughts and prayers to the Schweich family during this difficult time. Tom served his state and country admirably, and fought strongly for his values. With his passing, Missouri has lost a devoted public servant. He will be missed.” — Treasurer Clint Zweifel.
▪ “The death of Auditor Tom Schweich is devastating news for his family and all Missourians.” — Roy Temple, chairman of the Missouri Democratic Party.