Officers are cleared in Leavenworth shooting
The police officers who shot a kidnapping suspect in Leavenworth last month did not violate any law, the county attorney said Friday.
But Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson did not reveal if it was police gunfire that hit 5-year-old Cadence Harris, who was killed in the July 18 incident.
Authorities have said that two Leavenworth officers fired at the suspect, Marcas McGowan, after he led police on a chase with Cadence in his vehicle and then allegedly pointed a handgun at the officers.
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation handled the probe into the officers’ actions and the wounding of McGowan separately from the ongoing investigation in which he has been charged with felony murder and other counts.
The murder charge against McGowan, filed in Leavenworth County District Court, alleges that he is responsible for the death because it occurred while he committed the crimes of fleeing from police and endangering a child.
He is not accused of intentionally killing Cadence, the daughter of his girlfriend, who was taken after a domestic disturbance from the home they shared in Atchison, Kan.
The prosecutor, Leavenworth police and the KBI have all declined to say how Cadence died. Information about how she was killed was also redacted from court documents released Friday afternoon.
McGowan, 30, appeared Friday in court, where his attorney, Deb Snider, argued for a reduction of his $1 million bond. A judge denied the request. His next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 10.
To reach Tony Rizzo, call 816-234-4435 or send email to trizzo@kcstar.com.
This story was originally published August 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM with the headline "Officers are cleared in Leavenworth shooting."