Crime

2-year-old reported kidnapped in Kansas City on Wednesday found safe: Police

Police were seeking assistance from the public to locate a 2-year-old Andrew Mims, left, who was reportedly kidnapped from Kansas City by Michele Mims, right, on Wednesday afternoon. 
Police were seeking assistance from the public to locate a 2-year-old Andrew Mims, left, who was reportedly kidnapped from Kansas City by Michele Mims, right, on Wednesday afternoon.  Kansas City Police Department

Update: Police said Wednesday afternoon that Andrew and Michele Mims were found safe, and that the kidnapping investigation was ongoing.

Police were seeking assistance from the public to locate a 2-year-old boy who was reportedly kidnapped from Kansas City on Wednesday afternoon.

The child, Andrew L. Mims, was taken around 1 p.m. from the 8300 block of Campbell Street by Michele Mims, police said in a statement Wednesday. They were believed to be traveling in a 2021 silver Toyota Corolla, police said.

According to police, Michele Mims took the child during a supervised visitation at her residence while a parent aide was in the restroom.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol issued a statewide alert for the child on Wednesday.

Police were asking anyone with information to contact the Kansas City Police Department at 816-234-5150 or call 911.

This story was originally published June 7, 2023 at 6:07 PM.

Bill Lukitsch
The Kansas City Star
Bill Lukitsch covered nighttime breaking news for The Kansas City Star since 2021, focusing on crime, courts and police accountability. Lukitsch previously reported on politics and government for The Quad-City Times.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER