Authorities identify man shot dead while fleeing U.S. marshals in Kansas City, Kan.

Patrick Stephen Pippin, 30, of Olathe was a suspect in an ongoing federal investigation.
Patrick Stephen Pippin, 30, of Olathe was a suspect in an ongoing federal investigation.

Federal authorities have identified the man fatally wounded Thursday while fleeing from U.S. marshals on Interstate 35 in Kansas City, Kan., as Patrick Stephen Pippin, 30, of Olathe.

Pippin was a suspect in an ongoing federal investigation that involved the U.S. Marshals Service, Kansas City police and the FBI.

No criminal charges are expected to be filed against a second man who got out of the vehicle during the pursuit near the downtown Kansas City loop. That man was not an active participant in Pippin’s effort to elude police, the FBI said in a statement.

Federal authorities declined to release the other man’s name. No other details were released about the shooting or the investigation in which Pippin was a suspect.

Pippin had served time in Kansas prisons after convictions for auto theft, burglary and criminal possession of a firearm. His criminal record stretched back to 2000, when he was convicted of auto burglary and drug possession as a teenager in Olathe, where he lived most of his life.

According to court documents, Pippin attended Olathe North High School and worked intermittently in the building and food service industries.

The incident that led to his death began Thursday morning while officers were preparing to serve a search warrant at a house in Gladstone. Before they could serve the warrant, officers saw two people who matched the descriptions of suspects they were investigating flee from the home, according to federal authorities.

The two jumped into a vehicle and sped away when officers tried to stop them. The pursuit continued through downtown Kansas City, where one suspect dashed out of the car while the other continued south on I-35. The suspect who ran was taken into custody moments later.

The car chase ended on the interstate just east of the 18th Street Expressway after the fleeing vehicle lost a tire. Pippin got out of the vehicle armed with a gun, police said. He was shot by pursuing authorities. He was taken to a hospital, but he was declared dead upon arrival.

The Star’s Ian Cummings contributed to this report.