Crime

Johnson County man accused of attempted murder in Olathe shooting

Christopher M. Barwick, of Olathe, faces one felony charge of attempted murder in the first degree, the Johnson County district attorney’s office said Wednesday.
Christopher M. Barwick, of Olathe, faces one felony charge of attempted murder in the first degree, the Johnson County district attorney’s office said Wednesday.

Johnson County prosecutors have charged a 51-year-old man with attempted murder in a shooting that left one person critically injured on Sunday evening.

Christopher M. Barwick, of Olathe, faces one felony charge of attempted murder in the first degree, the district attorney’s office said in a Wednesday news release. As of Wednesday, Barwick was being held in Johnson County jail on a $500,000 bond.

On Sunday, around 5 p.m., Olathe police officers were dispatched to the 800 Block of South Windsor Road on a report of an armed disturbance involving family members.

Police officers located a 26-year-old gunshot victim. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Police said at the time that all involved in the shooting were in contact with investigators.

On Tuesday, prosecutors filed the charging documents for Barwick in Johnson County District Court. He made his first appearance Wednesday.

Barwick’s next scheduled court appearance is May 12.

Bill Lukitsch
The Kansas City Star
Bill Lukitsch covered nighttime breaking news for The Kansas City Star since 2021, focusing on crime, courts and police accountability. Lukitsch previously reported on politics and government for The Quad-City Times.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER