Crime

18-year-old found guilty in January murder of Kansas City man

Tony Mack, 18, has been found guilty for the January murder of Leon Taylor.
Tony Mack, 18, has been found guilty for the January murder of Leon Taylor.

An 18-year-old Kansas City man has been found guilty of murder in connection with the Jan. 28 shooting of another Kansas City man.

The Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office announced that Tony Mack had been convicted of second-degree murder, second-degree assault, three counts of armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon for fatally shooting 56-year-old Leon Taylor.

According to court records, Mack says he shot Taylor because he believed Taylor assaulted his mother.

Mack’s mother, Taylor and one of Taylor’s friends had just returned to the Elmwood residence moments before the shooting.

Upon arrival, Mack noticed scars on his mother’s face and knees. When Mack asked his mother to explain the scars, she told him that she had fallen down. Not believing her, Mack told his mother he believed Taylor had assaulted her.

He then went outside to Taylor’s car and fired multiple rounds into the vehicle.

Taylor was hit with multiple gun shot wounds and eventually died.

Sentencing is set for Dec. 14.

This story was originally published October 22, 2018 at 7:00 PM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER