KC man allegedly ‘sold’ classic Jaguars and Porsches that he didn’t actually own

A Kansas City man has been indicted for allegedly duping people into sending him money to buy classic cars he didn’t actually own.

A federal grand jury indicted Travis D. Oberg on charges of wire fraud and transportation of a stolen vehicle.

Oberg, 50, has previously served time in prison on other fraud-related charges, court records show.

According to the new indictment, Oberg filed paperwork with the Missouri Secretary of State in 2017 for a limited liability company called “Maaco Sales and Reconditioning.”

It was not affiliated with the long-established and widely known MAACO car painting and collision repair company.

“Oberg used the Maaco company name as a pretense to imply that he was involved in a legitimate automobile-related business,” the indictment said.

Using photographs of vehicles and title documents of vehicles that he did not own and was not authorized to sell, Oberg allegedly induced a number of people to wire him thousands of dollars.

In July 2017, a buyer in Connecticut sent Oberg $53,000 to purchase four classic cars: a 1973 BMW; a 1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL; a 1985 Porsche 911; and a 1967 Jaguar XKE.

In August 2017, Oberg took $37,000 from the manager of the Beverly Hills Car Club for the purchase of the same Jaguar and Porsche offered to the buyer in Connecticut, according to the indictment.

An advertisement posted by the Beverly Hills Car Club shows a Jaguar XKE of the same type referenced in the indictment. Prosecutors say the manager of the car club was a victim of a fraud by a Kansas City man. Beverly Hills Car Club

Then in November 2017, a buyer in Texas sent Oberg $10,050 to buy an ATV.

None of the vehicles were delivered to the people who thought they were buying them, prosecutors say. Many received only excuses, or occasionally a photo of a refund check that never arrived.

Oberg is also charged with transporting a stolen 1957 Ford Thunderbird from Missouri to Connecticut in June 2017.

He has been in federal custody since March after prosecutors moved to revoke his supervised release, or parole, in a previous fraud case.