Victim in highway stabbing in Lee's Summit was a Missouri Air National Guard member

A 23-year-old St. Joseph man died after being stabbed on a Kansas City-area highway in what appears to be an incident of road rage, police said Sunday.

Cody M. Harter died after being stabbed about 7:30 p.m. Saturday along northbound Missouri 291 near the merger with Interstate 470 in Lee's Summit.

Harter was a loadmaster with the Missouri Air National Guard, family members said on Sunday. He served a tour in Iraq and helped with the hurricane relief efforts in Houston and Puerto Rico.

At the scene of the stabbing on Saturday, drivers alerted police to the area after seeing Harter stumbling into traffic. By the time emergency crews arrived, Harter had collapsed in the median. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a release from the Lee's Summit Police Department.

Witnesses told police they had seen a vehicle stopped in front of Harter's truck and that he was arguing with another person.

Police believe that during the confrontation, Harter was stabbed once in the chest, stumbled back into the lanes of traffic and died.

The person Harter argued with fled north on I-470.

Harter was driving a maroon 2003 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado extended-cab pickup. His truck, which was found on the shoulder of the highway, had a large commercial mower in the bed .

Police are asking for the public's help to solve the homicide.

Cody Harter Truck
Cody M. Harter, 23, of St. Joseph died after he was stabbed in what police think was a road rage incident Saturday, May 5, 2018, on a highway in Lee's Summit. Police released a photo of his truck in hopes that witnesses who were in the area of Missouri 291 and Interstate 470 about 7:30 p.m. Saturday might recognize it and call in with information Lee's Summit Police Department

Anyone who might have seen the incident, or anyone who had seen the victim or the suspect traveling in the area, are asked to call Lee's Summit police at 816-969-1705.

Robert A. Cronkleton: 816-234-4261, @cronkb