Alleged carjacker punched by KC police after chase charged with resisting arrest

Troy R. Anderson
Troy R. Anderson

A 32-year-old man who was punched and kneed by Kansas City police officers after leading them on a high-speed vehicle chase was charged Thursday with resisting arrest and armed robbery.

Troy R. Anderson of Independence, whose arrest was captured on video by local television helicopters, also faces armed criminal action.

The officers involved in the incident are on their regular days off and are expected to return to full duty, said police spokesman Capt. Lionel Colón.

"The internal review process is systematic and includes examination of the incident in its entirety. It encompasses the events chronologically from beginning until the end," Colón said. "Members will conduct an exhaustive review of all aspects pertaining to the incident, including whether the actions of the apprehending officers adhere to department policy. It will take time to come to conclusion. "

Kansas City police were seen on live TV punching, kneeing sprawled armed robbery suspect. KCPD announced a review is underway shortly following the chase.


The incident began with an armed carjacking of a victim who told police he was driving in the area of Winner Road and Blue Ridge Boulevard to buy drugs, according to court documents.

The man told police he pulled over when he saw Anderson walking down the street. The man told Anderson his "prison number," to indicate to Anderson that he was "cool." Anderson asked the man to take him to get some cigarettes.

As they drove away, the victim said, Anderson pointed a gun and threatened to kill him if he didn't get out of the vehicle. Anderson then drove off in the victim’s vehicle, according to court records.

The man ran to a nearby mechanic shop for help.

As police were talking to the victim, Anderson drove back by the crime scene, at which time police began their pursuit. Anderson refused to pull over, according to police.

Police said the pursuit lasted for almost 30 minutes and reached speeds up to 100 mph. Anderson "drove recklessly and endangered numerous drivers," police said.

Anderson was arrested after he bailed out of the moving Chevrolet Trailblazer in a park area near Ninth Street and Utley Avenue in Northeast Kansas City. Anderson ran several yards before he tripped and fell face down.

Anderson appeared to have surrendered when several officers quickly swarmed over him. One officer punched Anderson in the head and torso, while a second officer repeatedly kneed him in the torso.

A KCTV5 and KSHB television news helicopter captured the pursuit and the arrest.

On Thursday, a Kansas City police spokesman said the incident remained under review.

After the arrest, police found a small knife in Anderson's front pocket.

Anderson told investigators that the victim had agreed to sell him the SUV and he was in the process of returning the SUV when saw the officers. Anderson said he did not stop because he did not have a valid driver's license and he also was high on "meth."

Anderson denied stealing the vehicle and said he was being "set up."

He is being held on a $100,000 bond. No court date has been set.

Read Next