Crime

F. Glenn Miller Jr. wants to plead guilty in Jewish center shootings


F. Glenn Miller Jr. (left) on Monday told an Associated Press reporter that he wants to plead guilty to avoid waiting for trial in the murders of three people last year outside the Jewish Community Center and Village Shalom in Overland Park.
F. Glenn Miller Jr. (left) on Monday told an Associated Press reporter that he wants to plead guilty to avoid waiting for trial in the murders of three people last year outside the Jewish Community Center and Village Shalom in Overland Park. jsleezer@kcstar.com

At 74 and in ill health, the accused killer of three people outside Jewish facilities is telling reporters he wants to plead guilty to avoid waiting for trial.

F. Glenn Miller Jr. called an Associated Press reporter Monday and said he doesn’t have long to live and wants to have his day in court.

Miller, also known as Frazier Glenn Cross Jr., told The Star in conversations last month that his health was deteriorating and that he was eager for the opportunity to explain his reasons for carrying out the shootings last April.

Jeff Dazey, one of Miller’s lawyers, said late Monday afternoon that he could not comment because of a court gag order. Prosecutors could not be reached for comment.

Miller’s trial on a charge of capital murder and other lesser crimes is scheduled to begin Aug. 17 in Johnson County District Court. His next court hearing is scheduled for May 14 to take up pretrial motions. That hearing was set several weeks ago.

He is charged in the shooting deaths of 69-year-old William Corporon and his grandson, Reat Griffin Underwood, 14, at the Jewish Community Center and of 53-year-old Terri LaManno at Village Shalom retirement community.

The Star and The Associated Press

This story was originally published April 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM with the headline "F. Glenn Miller Jr. wants to plead guilty in Jewish center shootings."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER