Mom got protection order against husband after slaying of Daizsa Bausby

Soon after his daughter’s death, Jerry K. Bausby’s wife sought a protection order against him. Bausby is now charged with killing Daizsa Bausby.
Soon after his daughter’s death, Jerry K. Bausby’s wife sought a protection order against him. Bausby is now charged with killing Daizsa Bausby.

Four days after Kansas City police found the body of a slain 18-year-old honor student, the teen’s mother filed a protection order against her husband — the man now accused in the high schooler’s death.

On Thursday, a Jackson County judge entered a not guilty plea on behalf of Jerry K. Bausby, 40, who faces first-degree murder, sodomy and first-degree sexual abuse charges in the slaying of his daughter, Daizsa Laye Bausby.

Police found the teen’s body on March 21 inside a room at the 4 Acre Motel at 8220 Hickman Mills Drive. She had been summoned there hours earlier by her father, according to court records.

Police said the Southwest High School student had been suffocated.

On March 25, Laetta Walker sought a protection order against Jerry Bausby, saying that he had a violent history and may have been involved in her daughter’s death. Walker said she feared for her safety and the safety of her children, according to the documents.

In the filing, homicide detectives also identified Bausby as a person of interest in his daughter’s death. The protection order was granted.

According to the court filing, in August 2015 police responded to the family’s home after Walker said Bausby pushed her and threatened her with a knife.

During an altercation in July 2015, Walker’s son stepped between his mother and Bausby and said, “You can’t keep treating my mama that way,” according to the court records.

In October 2014, Walker said Bausby pulled her, grabbed a gas container and threatened to set her on fire, according to the court filing.

This week, authorities said investigators used DNA to link Bausby to the teen’s death.

Daizsa Bausby was last seen around 8:30 p.m. March 20 when she left her home a few minutes after getting a call from her father. Jerry Bausby rented a room at the 4 Acre Motel at 9:30 p.m. that night, according to court records.

Hours later, surveillance video showed someone who matches the description of Jerry Bausby walking away from the motel room, just after 3:30 a.m. Video from a convenience store located 10 minutes south of the motel captured him buying cigarettes and then leaving and not returning to the motel.

Jerry Bausby has a criminal record dating to 1997 when he was convicted of drug charges, according to Jackson County court records.

In 2005, he was convicted in another drug-related case and sentenced to five years in prison. That same year, he was convicted of domestic assault and violation of a protection order.

He is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 6 on the new charges and remained in custody on a $750,000 cash-only bond.

Bausby was not represented by an attorney during Thursday’s hearing. Circuit Judge Charles H. McKenzie said he will determine whether Bausby is eligible to be represented by the public defender’s office.

Glenn E. Rice: 816-234-4341, @GRicekcstar

Mará Rose Williams: 816-234-4419, @marawilliamskc