After ‘Hairspray’ success, theaters plan a new venture
The first collaboration between The Theatre in the Park and the Jewish Community Center to produce “Hairspray” in 2013 was so successful they’re doing it again.
The two theaters will share the expense of costumes, sets and props and use the same cast and director to produce “Shrek, the Musical” at both venues next summer. “Shrek” will play first at JCC’s White Theatre July 11-26 then sets and costumes will be moved to The Theatre in the Park, where it will close out the 2015 season.
“Hairspray” worked so beautifully we both said ‘let’s do it again’ and we are,” said Krista Blackwood, director of Cultural Arts at JCC. “It benefits us both. In fact, we’d like to do it as often as possible.”
“We started talking right after ‘Hairspray’ closed,” said Tim Bair, Theatre in the Park’s producing artistic director. “We had to find the right time and show. ‘Shrek’ was available. It’s a good show, based on a popular movie. And anytime you can share expenses it’s good for everyone.”
“We’ll continue to talk before we set future schedules so we can find a show that fits both theaters again,” Blackwood said. “‘Shrek’ fits in especially well because it’s attractive to kids. We haven’t had a show like that in White Theatre for some time.
“The Theatre in the Park draws huge numbers of potential performers to its auditions so we have a larger pool of actors to choose from than we have at our auditions,” Blackwood said.
Bair, who will direct “Shrek,” said each theater saved about $7,500 by sharing expenses with “Hairspray.”
“Using the same cast and director in both productions is cool for the actors,” Bair said. “The run is about twice as long and actors like that. They really get into it.”
Eight performances of “Hairspray” at White Theatre drew about 2,900 patrons, Blackwood said. Theatre in the Park which has a much larger seating capacity, drew 6,923 in five performances. One night of “Hairspray” was rained out. Each theater keeps its own gate receipts.
“The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” was the top draw of The Theatre in the Park’s 2014 season with 5,737 followed by “Honk,” the story of the Ugly Duckling, with 4,306. “Pirates of Penzance,” a Gilbert and Sullivan production, drew 3,998. “Ragtime” had 3,944 and “Guys and Dolls,” the only show that previously had been produced at The Theatre, drew 3,331.
“Movies Under the Stars” drew 3,332 with Disney’s “Frozen” leading the way with 900 viewers, Bair said.
Bair said he was pleased overall with the 2014 season, especially the weather. “We had a beautiful summer. The weather was great, not many hot days and only two rainouts.”
He said he wasn’t surprised “Pirates of Penzance” didn’t draw larger crowds.
“Actually, I’m pleased it drew as well as it did,” Bair said. “Gilbert and Sullivan is a different kind of show that doesn’t appeal to some segments of our audience. Also it was the season opener, which often doesn’t draw too well. I think it takes a while for people to get into the season.”
Among the highlights of the summer were the new, air-conditioned dressing rooms. “Especially, for the performers,” Bair said with a laugh. “I used to go backstage before the show started and all the actors were huddled in front of big fans. This year I couldn’t find them. They’re all in the dressing rooms.”
“It’s certainly been a long time coming. It was a revelation to actors who are used to suffering through 100-degree nights,” he said. “I think it will change the way actors view performing at The Theatre in the Park.”
This story was originally published September 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM with the headline "After ‘Hairspray’ success, theaters plan a new venture."