Local

Extension cord blamed for fire that damaged Shawnee house

A Shawnee family safely escaped a house fire Monday afternoon after a neighbor alerted them to the blaze. An extension cord sparked the fire.
A Shawnee family safely escaped a house fire Monday afternoon after a neighbor alerted them to the blaze. An extension cord sparked the fire. Shawnee Fire Department

An extension cord used on the front porch is being blamed for igniting a fire that damaged a Shawnee house Monday afternoon.

A neighbor spotted the fire shortly before 2 p.m. on the front porch of a house near West 69th Terrace and Widmer Road. The neighbor alerted the family to get out and call 911.

When firefighters arrived, the fire had spread to the front of the house and was entering the attic, according to a release from the Shawnee Fire Department.

Fire investigators determined the extension cord sparked the blaze.

Extension cords should not be used for permanent wiring, and homeowners should hire a certified electrician to install additional outlets instead, Shawnee Fire Marshal Corey Sands said.

Firefighters from Lenexa and Overland Park also helped fight the blaze.

Robert A. Cronkleton: 816-234-4261, @cronkb

  Comments