A Kansas City man filed a claim Monday in a Minnesota probate court alleging that he is the son of Prince and is entitled to the late pop star’s multimillion-dollar estate.
Carlin Q. Williams, 39, a rapper who performed under the name “Prince of Darkness,” is believed to be the first to file a paternity claim in the estate of Prince, who died April 21 at age 57. The pop star did not have a will.
Williams is incarcerated in a federal supermax prison in Colorado on a gun charge.
Williams has requested a DNA test and petitioned to the court that he is the sole surviving heir to Prince’s estate, which is estimated at $300 million. A judge ordered earlier that blood from Prince be saved for that purpose.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
In a court pleading, Marsha J. Henson, Williams’ mother, claims she had unprotected sex with Prince in July 1976 in Kansas City. Prince would have been 18 at the time.
Henson claims in an affidavit that she met Prince in the lobby of a Crown Center hotel. She said they drank wine and then went to the Midwest Hotel at 20th and Main streets, where they had sex.
“I allege that Prince Rogers Nelson, ‘Mr. Nelson,’ is the father of my son Carlin Q. Williams,” Henson said in her filing.
The affidavit goes on to say that Henson did not have sex six weeks prior to that night or with anyone else until Williams was born on April 8, 1977.
Prince released his debut album, “For You,” the following year.
Williams, who gave a home address in the 5100 block of Olive Street in Kansas City, is represented by Florida lawyer Patrick Cousins and Minneapolis lawyer Paul Shoemaker. They have filed motions to halt the probate of the estate, which without an heir would be distributed to Prince’s sister, Tyka Nelson, and five half siblings.
Bruce Lewis, a spokesman for the lawyers, said Williams is due for release from prison in 2020.
Donald Bradley: 816-234-4182