People traveling through downtown Kansas City this weekend might want to plan extra time.
Demolition of an old railroad bridge just east of Broadway will require the closing of Interstate 70 in the northwest corner of Kansas City’s downtown loop. The closure is expected to have a major effect on traffic.
Beginning at 10 p.m. Friday, I-70 in both directions will be closed at Broadway.
The demolition work will also require the following road and ramp closings in the area:
▪ Northbound and southbound Interstate 35.
▪ The 12th Street ramp to I-35.
▪ The U.S. 169 ramp to northbound I-35.
▪ Southbound Missouri 9 ramp to southbound I-35.
▪ Troost Avenue to westbound U.S. 24.
▪ The westbound U.S. 24 ramp to southbound I-35.
▪ The northbound U.S. 169 ramp to southbound I-35.
▪ The Delaware Street ramp to southbound I-35.
▪ The I-70 ramp to southbound I-35.
Once the debris has been removed, crews will reopen all lanes and ramps. Crews have until 5 a.m. Monday to reopen all lanes and ramps, but they could reopen sooner if crews finish the project and cleanup early.