The annual Kansas City philanthropy awards, sponsored by Nonprofit Connect, will be May 20, honoring eight individuals and four organizations.
The nine awards and their recipients:
▪ Philanthropists of the year: Michael and Marlys Haverty, primarily for their support of Union Station.
▪ Emerging philanthropist: Jennifer Matney, for her work with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City.
▪ Nonprofit professional: B. Wayne Sims, chief executive officer of KVC Health Systems.
▪ Emerging nonprofit professional: Deborah Wiebrecht, executive director of Variety Children’s Charity of Greater Kansas City.
▪ Volunteers: Terry and Peggy Dunn, primarily for their campaign work for the United Way of Greater Kansas City.
▪ Emerging volunteer: Rachel Merlo, for multiple community board memberships.
▪ Business philanthropist: the Kansas City Chiefs, primarily for making grants to schools and nonprofits.
▪ Excellence in collaboration: Rainbow Services Inc. and the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department, for crisis services involving mental health issues.
▪ Excellence in impact: Community Services League, for 100 years of fighting poverty in Kansas City.