Local

KC official reiterates FBI probe at City Hall does not target her, husband

Mayor Pro Tem Ryana Parks-Shaw and her husband Micahel Shaw, the public works director, pose for photos during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026.
Mayor Pro Tem Ryana Parks-Shaw and her husband Micahel Shaw, the public works director, pose for photos during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026. dylan.lysen@kcstar.com
Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Parks-Shaw says she and her husband believe they are not targets and were not subpoenaed.
  • Michael Shaw will retire next week after nearly three decades in city government.
  • The subpoena named nonprofit leader Anton Washington, and FBI questioned city contracts.

Kansas City Mayor Pro Tem Ryana Parks-Shaw says her husband’s upcoming retirement from city government is not related to an ongoing federal criminal investigation that has rocked City Hall earlier this year.

Speaking in between City Council meetings on Thursday, Parks-Shaw reiterated that she and her husband, Michael Shaw, the city’s outgoing public works director, believe they are not the target of the federal probe.

She noted a subpoena sent to City Hall last summer related to the investigation did not mention either of them. Parks-Shaw also pointed out that she previously requested the city conduct its own investigation into the matter, which she said is underway.

“If I had something to hide, I wouldn’t have done that,” Parks-Shaw said.

Michael Shaw is set to retire from his position next week after nearly three decades serving the city in various positions. His decision to leave comes just months after revelations that he and Parks-Shaw were mentioned as part of an FBI investigation allegedly focusing on whether the couple used their authority for financial and professional gain.

Parks-Shaw, who is also campaigning to become the next mayor, said her husband is retiring after a long and successful career.

“He’s ready to move on and celebrate the successes he’s had,” Parks-Shaw said.

FBI investigation

It’s unclear where the federal investigation stands. The FBI typically conducts its investigations in secret and the federal agency has previously declined to confirm or deny the existence of an investigation. There have been no arrests or criminal charges filed as of Thursday.

Parks-Shaw said the FBI still has not contacted her or her husband, but they would cooperate with authorities if approached.

“I have nothing to fear and nothing to hide,” Parks-Shaw said.

Mayor Pro Tem Ryana Parks-Shaw speaks during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026.
Mayor Pro Tem Ryana Parks-Shaw speaks during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026. Dylan Lysen dylan.lysen@kcstar.com

In March, three former city employees said that they were interviewed by the FBI. Those employees, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to fear of retribution, described being asked a wide range of questions about government contracts and campaign donations.

One focus of the questions centered on Shaw and Parks-Shaw and how certain city contracts were awarded.

But those witnesses also detailed the FBI asking other questions, a sign that the exact target of the investigation remains unclear.

The federal probe also thrust into the spotlight a local nonprofit leader who worked with the city to combat homelessness. Anton Washington, the head of Creative Innovative, was named in the subpoena sent to City Hall last year.

Washington has several ties to Parks-Shaw, including court filings that describe him as a “champion” for her mayoral campaign and $203 in campaign donations. Shaw, the public works director, also approved a majority of the city’s contracts with Washington’s organization.

Praise for Shaw

Meanwhile, most of the council members praised Shaw when the City Council acknowledged his upcoming retirement during the meeting. They characterized Shaw as a selfless servant to city residents who would respond to issues at any hour of the day.

“Michael Shaw is an exceptional man and person,” Mayor Quinton Lucas said. “He has been a wonderful leader for Kansas City.”

Public Works Director Michael Shaw shakes hands with Councilmember Eric Bunch during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026.
Public Works Director Michael Shaw shakes hands with Councilmember Eric Bunch during a City Council meeting on May 21, 2026. Dylan Lysen dylan.lysen@kcstar.com

Shaw told the council that he’s excited to spend more time with family.

“It has been an absolute honor for me to serve the citizens of Kansas City,” Shaw told the City Council. “I did not take this opportunity lightly. I know I’m entrusted with a lot of things.”

Related Stories from Kansas City Star
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER