Voters collect enough signatures for Frank White recall petition. What happens now?
A two-year-long effort to recall Jackson County Executive Frank White Jr. has reached a key milestone that could soon see voters deciding whether he remains in office.
The Jackson County Election Board announced Monday that petitioners have collected the minimum number of signatures required to put a vote on the ballot to oust the former Kansas City Royals hall of famer from office.
Voters collected more than the 42,902 required signatures in favor of recalling White, in accordance with the requirements laid out by the Jackson County Charter. As of 5 p.m., the Jackson County Election Board had received 43,045 signatures, according to Sara Zorich, the board’s Democratic director.
After all signatures are validated, the Jackson County legislature will vote on whether to accept the signatures. The question of whether to recall White could then be put directly to Jackson County voters during a scheduled public election within 60 days.
The election would likely take place over Labor Day weekend, Zorich told The Star. The county charter’s 60-day deadline for a recall election could cause issues for the election board, she said, with a separate August election already on the books.
“At this point, it’s in the legislature’s hands,” Zorich said. “It would be more beneficial for everyone if they were able to wait this out and put it on the November election.”
Election officials had certified more than half of the necessary votes by April 25. The final 240 signatures and 143 extra signatures were collected between Thursday night and Monday morning, with recall supporters hosting tables during at least one county event.
Frank White recall effort
A “dark money” group called Democracy in Action spent more than $330,000 on the recall campaign, accumulating more than half of the signatures by hiring people to collect them over several months. Democracy in Action has kept the source of its funding secret.
“This effort is being led and funded by dark money groups and self-interested insiders who were denied a blank check for a bad stadium deal,” White wrote Monday in response to news of the recall vote total. “They didn’t get what they wanted, and now they’re trying to buy political revenge.”
Grass-roots leaders of the volunteer effort were centered in eastern Jackson County and also gathered thousands of signatures. They maintained a strong social media presence throughout the recall, largely in Facebook groups including Fight Jackson County Missouri Assessments and Recall Frank 7% White.
DaRon McGee, chair of the Jackson County Legislature, referred to Monday’s vote totals as “an unprecedented and uncommon development.”
“This is not an adversarial action by the Legislature. It is not about us versus the County Executive,” McGee wrote in a statement shared Monday evening. “It is a citizen-led initiative, and we will treat it with the seriousness and care that democracy requires.”
White, a Democrat, has served as the Jackson County Executive since 2016 and was previously on the county legislature, elected in 2014 as the at-large representative for District 1 .
“This recall isn’t about public service; it’s about private gain,” White wrote Monday. “It’s being driven by those who want county government to work for them, not the people. But I was elected to serve taxpayers, not special interests and I won’t be bullied into selling out the residents of Jackson County.”
Jackson County tax frustrations
Along with ongoing debates over the potential relocation of the Kansas City Chiefs and Kansas City Royals, the effort to recall White was fueled by frustrations over the 2019, 2023 and 2025 property assessment cycles in Jackson County.
““The advancement of the recall petition process reflects the growing frustration and deepens concerns held by many Jackson County residents,” Jackson County legislator Manny Abarca IV wrote Monday. “...I believe this process serves as a sobering reminder to every elected official: we serve at the will of the people.”
White also spoke Monday afternoon on allegations that Jackson County legislator Sean Smith illegally used taxpayer-funded resources on the recall campaign, announcing that he had formally referred Smith to Jackson County Prosecutor Melesa Johnson and Jackson County Sheriff Darryl Forté for investigation.
Both Smith and Abarca have been vocal supporters of the recall effort for months, as Abarca simultaneously navigated a highly publicized domestic altercation that led to charges in three jurisdictions.
The Star’s Mike Hendricks contributed.
This story was originally published June 30, 2025 at 4:28 PM.