Pedestrian killed on I-70 in Kansas City, shutting down highway for hours
Update: Police have identified the pedestrian as 14-year-old Mario Myers, who was reported missing after being last seen around 3 a.m. Thursday.
A pedestrian was struck and killed early Thursday, forcing Interstate 70 to be shut down for a couple of hours east of downtown Kansas City, a police spokesman said.
The crash occurred shortly after 4:30 a.m. along eastbound I-70 near Manchester Trafficway, said Sgt. Phil DiMartino with the Kansas City Police Department.
The pedestrian was identified as 14-year-old Mario Myers, who was reported missing after being last seen about 3 a.m. Thursday, DiMartino said.
A preliminary investigation found that the Myers was walking in a middle lane of I-70 just west of Manchester. A white Chevrolet Malibu heading east struck the pedestrian. Myers died at the scene, DiMartino said.
The driver of the Chevrolet was not injured and stopped immediately, remaining at the scene of the crash.
Myers’ death is the 35th traffic fatality of the year, compared to 48 by this time last year.
All lanes of eastbound I-70 were closed for about 2 1/2 hours while police investigated the fatal wreck. The highway has since fully reopened.
The investigation into the crash is ongoing.
This story was originally published June 19, 2025 at 8:57 AM.