Local

Workers treated for carbon monoxide after being sickened while remodeling Kansas City basement

Four men remodeling a basement were sickened by carbon monoxide at a residence in the 7500 block of Olive Street in Kansas City on Monday.

The incident was reported shortly after 1:30 p.m. Emergency workers treated the homeowner for a heat-related illness.

The workers were treated at a hospital for the carbon monoxide exposure. Two initially were reported in critical condition, said Kansas City Fire Department Battalion Chief James Garrett.

The men were using gasoline-powered equipment. It is likely they failed to properly ventilate the basement, Garrett said. The homeowner became ill a short time later.

Glenn E. Rice, grice@kcstar.com

  Comments