Second victim in Kansas City garbage truck crash identified as 47-year-old employee
Kansas City officials identified 47-year-old Huan Doan as the second Public Works Department employee that was killed when a garbage truck overturned in a crash and burst into flames last week.
Doan was a contract employee and one of the three passengers in the truck.
“We remember Huan, the second victim from last week’s tragic tash truck crash,” the city said on Twitter on Tuesday. “We hold him and his family in our hearts and thank Huan for his service.”
Jamaal McDaniel, 34, was identified as the other victim who died in the crash last week.
There has not been an update on the condition of the third city employee seriously injured in the wreck.
The truck crashed March 1 as it was exiting from northbound Interstate 435 onto Front Street. A preliminary investigation determined that the driver lost control and the truck flipped over, striking the concrete barrier between eastbound and westbound Front Street. The truck caught fire and thick black smoke could be seen coming from the scene from the distance.
A Kansas City police officer, who happened to be passing by, helped one of the crew members escape.
In a press conference last week, Public Works Director Michael Shaw said the fatal crash marked the first he’s seen in Kansas City after 23 years on the job.
“We’re shook to the core,” Shaw said.
An analysis by The Star that was published last week found that the I-435 and Front Street area was one of the deadliest locations for traffic crashes in the past two years.
This story was originally published March 9, 2022 at 7:41 AM.