Suspicious package in City Hall deemed safe after Kansas City bomb squad investigates
Following an investigation led by the Kansas City Bomb and Arson Unit, police have determined that a suspicious package found inside City Hall on Tuesday afternoon did not present a real threat.
“The investigation continues into the origin and nature of the package,” Sgt. Jake Becchina, a department spokesman, said in a statement.
City Hall was evacuated around 3:40 p.m. after city employees received a message from the General Services Department asking everyone to leave the building in an “orderly, but quick, manner.” Police said earlier that they were notified of the threat around 3:15 p.m.
Along with an evacuation of the building, police closed off streets around City Hall as the bomb and arson team investigated the package, which was found on one of the building’s upper floors.
Becchina said Tuesday evening that traffic interruptions had been lifted and that City Hall was cleared to resume normal operations.
This story was originally published February 22, 2022 at 4:15 PM.