Local

Johnson County surveys residents again to study COVID-19 outbreak, offer more tests

For the second time, the Johnson County health department is asking the public to complete an online survey, in an effort to gain a better understanding of how many residents have symptoms of the new coronavirus.

The survey is available through 10 a.m. Friday at jocogov.org.

In the survey, residents are asked about symptoms or lack of symptoms, plus demographic and contact information. Officials ask that the survey be completed by every member of each household.

The health department will keep the information confidential. Some respondents who report symptoms of coronavirus, such as fever and a dry cough, may be invited to be tested at a drive-thru clinic.

The county will ask residents to complete the same survey multiple times in the next few weeks, so officials can track and compare results.

“Completing the survey is voluntary, but we ask that as many people as possible participate every time you are asked, to recognize how the coronavirus is spreading in the community,” said Sanmi Areola, director of the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment.

Areola said an “impressive” number — nearly 73,000 — responded to the first survey earlier this month. Out of that group, about 1.5% reported they might have symptoms.

He cautioned that many people with coronavirus don’t show symptoms. He also said just because someone reports symptoms in line with coronavirus does not mean that they have tested positive.

But Areola said the officials will study the survey results as another way of tracking the outbreak and to have residents who show symptoms get tested as part of the county’s $400,000 expanded testing program. Johnson County is aiming to test about 2,000 randomly selected residents, some with symptoms and some without, to determine whether mitigation strategies are helping prevent further spread of the virus.

In addition, Areola said the county has expanded testing to first responders and front-line workers. Last Friday, the health department tested about 200 restaurant workers, child care providers and first responders. Out of the 173 results that the county has received, none of the tests were positive, he said Monday.

The county will continue the multi-pronged approach to tracking the outbreak, Areola said, as officials determine whether to extend the stay-at-home order beyond May 3.

For more information, visit jocogov.org or call the Johnson County community hotline, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, at 913-715-2819.

Sarah Ritter
The Kansas City Star
Sarah Ritter was a watchdog reporter for The Kansas City Star, covering K-12 schools and local government in the Johnson County, Kansas suburbs since 2019.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER